Spring time is the best time to perform an annual maintenance check of your central air conditioning system. This check involves the outside unit and the inside unit and can usually be completed by an even not so handy homeowner. If you have an older A/C unit or one that has had problems in the past, then you should consider hiring a licensed HVAC contractor to check it for you- it won’t cost you that much for a professional maintenance check and it will prevent any problems from occurring on that first very hot summer day when all you want is to have a proper functioning air conditioning system. HVAC and air conditioner maintenance is really worth your time as an A/C unit could last 15-20 years with proper maintenance.
Here are the basics in A/C maintenance, some of which apply to the entire year:
- Change or clean your filter once a month.
- Clean your registers and ducts regularly and consider having then professionally cleaned every few years.
- Clean the outside compressor by spraying it with a hose.
- Cover the compressor for the winter.
- Check all hose connections for leaks, and make sure the condensate tube is draining freely.
- Check that all of the panels are secured tightly and if they are not, gently screw them back into place.
Some Additional Air Conditioning Tips:
- Keep furniture, drapes, toys and all objects away from registers. It will make your A/C system work more efficiently to have them open and clear.
- Keep all items away from your unit.
Source by Marcy Tate